Friday, June 7, 2013

Turning Point


Finish the Sentence Friday



Linking up with Janine for Finish The Sentence Friday. This week is a good one:

I hit a turning point in my life when...

- I just wanted to get out of my home town. I don't exactly know when it happened, but sometime between
   being an angsty and depressed 12-year old, panicking when my parents considered moving to another
   town and being an extremely annoyed 18-year old, ready for the big, big world..

- I met The One. I knew that he was my man from the very beginning, and gave up a promising career to
   live the Army life with him.

- I became a mother. I have always been a career girl who never cut herself any slack. Even when I was
   pregnant with Lily, I planned on going back to work full-time as soon as possible. Having a baby turned
   me into a wuss (in the most positive sense!!). I would love working part-time and spend more time with
   the girls during the week, but that obviously didn't happen.

- I became pregnant unplanned. This was probably the most defining turning point. Once the two little lines
   appeared on the test, we knew that we had to make radical changes in our lives. We thought back and
   forth, from Richard taking advantage of the GI Bill and going back to college to moving to a place with
   better job prospects for both of us. We ended up moving back to Germany, to the place we started out
   over 4 years earlier, and it has been the best decision in our lives.

What was a defining point in your life?

10 comments:

  1. I love this! It's amazing how certain moments shape the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, Jen. Had anyone told me all those things 10 years ago, I wouldn't have believed them. There have been some trying times, but I'm thankful for all of them, because they have shaped me into the person I am today..

      Delete
  2. Stephanie, I too planned on being a working mom, but god had other plans for me and have been home with my kids for almost 3 years now and honestly so happy I have gotten this time. I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Totally could relate to your turning points of marriage and kids. Thank you for linking up with us as always and hope you have a wonderful weekend now, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are, I wished I had some more time with them, but I am happy that we are in Germany now and I have a lot more days off (30 days that is plus public holidays) than I would have ever had in the States.

      Delete
  3. Wow, how fascinating. Your post content matches your blog title - that's cool! I left my hometown too. But now all I do is whine about wanting to go back. But I really don't. All my family has left my hometown too! :-) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kate! It definitely were a few busy years, and I can't wait to finally settle down for good, once we have this house thing figured out ;-)

      Delete
  4. I'm still getting around to reading some of the FTSF posts - yikes, I'm behind! I love this and that's awesome that you're back in Germany. Also, when it comes to working part time, I recently started and it's HARD. Turns out, 20 hours a week is a lot more than I thought! I left home for a job and it's one of the best decisions I ever made as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is.. I went back to work for 20 hours (4 hours a day) when Lily was 8 weeks old, and it was perfect for me. I'm definitely not SAHM-material, maybe it was because I had no mommy-friends and I was stuck in small-town Kansas with nothing to do than visit my friends at work, but I was so glad to go back to work (Lily had a private babysitter, which was a huge plus, wouldn't have felt comfortable sending her to a daycare center that young!). Hope you find your routine, soon, and enjoy your job!

      Delete
  5. So two of your four were having babies. Isn't that the way? ;)
    One day I'll make it to Germany, so you can show me what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, babies always make a difference. The first one was the turning point when the hubby decided that watching his daughter grow is more important than a trip to the big sand box, and the second one helped us make the decision to move sooner rather than later.

    You should totally come visit Germany, it's so awesome, and I'd love to show you the area!! Limes, anyone??

    ReplyDelete