Saturday, October 18, 2014

Week In Review - Ten Things Of Thankful (70)


Ten Things of Thankful


This week was more quiet than last one, which definitely is a thing to be thankful about. Both girls are now signed up for dance class and Violet's been doing good progress in her speech therapy. I feel like we're finally getting settled in our routine. Only took me a few months  :-)

My ten things we're most thankful for this week:

1. Lily and Violet getting along better again. It's been a tough few weeks between them with Lily adjusting to elementary school and Violet becoming extremely attached to her, which, in turn, completely set off our Miss Freedom & Independent  Lily; almost daily, Violet had to be physically removed from Lily's room because she simply could not leave her alone. But today (Monday), for the first time in quite a while, I found them playing peacefully in Violet's room. Lily told me that Violet had invited her to listen to an audio play together, and "listening to it together is so much more fun than listening by myself".  It just melted my heart!!

2. One of Violet's friends giving me a beautiful fall leave as a gift when I picked Violet up from kindergarten today.

3. A new morning ritual for hubby and me. We sit down for a few minutes and share a cup of coffee before starting yet another crazy day. I really enjoy those moments with my love..

4. Mis-purchases. My sister was out to buy some apricot jam last week, grabbed a glass with yellowish content and happily went home where she realizes that she has bought orange marmelade. And because my lovely sister knows that I am the only person in the world who loves that stuff, she gave it to me. I've really, really enjoyed my breakfast the last few days  :-)

5. Having three more Atheist families in Lily's class, who - like us - are fighting for our kids' right to freedom from religion in class. We hope that we'll soon find a solution that does not include disregarding our daughters' constiutional rights and trying to exclude them from class activities.

6. My dear friend having found a wonderful and extremely capable lawyer to take action against the company she's worked for for over 15 years. Obviously, this company has decided to force all young mothers to resign, and in my friend's case, they have taken very, very dirty methods of bullying, libel, etc. She read the letter her lawyer has drafted to me tonight, and we're all confident that she will receive the compensation she deserves and damages for all the crap she had to go through in the last weeks.

7. Calvin getting his first vaccines and doing well afterwards. I'm so thankful that we live in a part of the world where we have so ready access to healthcare and all the necessary vaccines to keep our children safe and protect them from dangerous diseases.

8. Naps with the baby. He's such a cuddler, and on several occasions during the week we managed to snuggle up and nap for an hour or two.

9. Visits with friends. Violet, Calvin, and I visited my friend Jenny and her kids on Friday and had a great afternoon. Violet gifted her "Frozen"-dress that was too small for her to her friend Lizzi, who was so much in love with the dress. Love Violet for being such a generous little girl!

10. Lily's about reading!!  I have bought an early-reader's book for her and plan on giving it to her tomorrow. She can read a number of shorter words, but is still getting frustrated easily. She's definitely her mom's daughter  :-)  Maybe this new book will help her make that last little step to everything finally making sense to her. She's SO close!!

Have a wonderful new week, everyone!

20 comments:

  1. I do not like that your daughter is being excluded from activities in school that is not right at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't like it either. Instead of praying and telling the Atheist kids that they can stay seated and need not participate, they should find a way to start the day so that also the Atheist girls can participate, especially since the teacher had stressed only a few weeks ago that in her class room, no-one is excluded. We parents are going to meet next week and discuss how to procede. Have a great weekend, Jen!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh way to go on the reading, Lily - that's awesome :D

    Glad you're enjoying lots of snuggles with Calvin, and that he came through his vaccinations alright :)

    Long may the peace last between the girls, because that moment where they shared playspace together sounds so cute :) Good for them for being lovely sisters, really :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Lizzi! It's not easy for the girls right now, that's why I enjoy the moments they get along well so much more. Had another 2+ hour nap with Calvin today, indeed glorious :-) I can't wait for Lily to read for good. So many more good things to share with her then!

      Delete
  3. ORANGE MARMALADE!!! THE BEST! I know what you mean though...everyone thinks Im a nutter for loving it...made it for Christmas last year and I would bet most people never opened it...I didnt realize how much people really loathe the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you please, please, please share the recipe, Zoe!!! I'd love to make some home-made orange marmalade myself! It's so yummie!

      Delete
  4. reading already…. I defy anyone to name a (life) skill more critical to a satisfying life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Love reading myself, hubby used to own 700+ books before the big move and has been slowly building up his library again, and I can't wait to share this love with Lily and later the other two little ones. Have a great new week, Clark!

      Delete
  5. What? Some people don't like orange marmalade?! Of course, I like apricot jam, too. Preserves are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all different kinds of jam as well, but orange marmalade is always special because it's not something you get in German stores all the time. Most grocery stores have it as a special a couple of times a year, and I buy a jar every time. But obviously, a lot of people hate it with a passion; wouldn't know why.. Have a wonderful week, Kristi!

      Delete
  6. I really don't like they are excluding. That is even more wrong than prayer in school. Whatever happened to a moment of silence? It makes me thankful that we go to a Montessori school that is a free charter school and this is not an issue for us.

    Yay for baby snuggling naps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what hubby suggested, just have a moment of silence or read a non-religious poem or so.I'm glad you are in a school that doesn't have religious prayer; it's annoying here!! In her ethics class, the teacher lets the kids hand a candle around, each kid telling the next "I'm happy you are here". I love this!!

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. I never had orange marmalade, but I can't imagine that I'd like it. I like oranges, but on a piece of toast? Don't know about that. :)

    It is almost magical when the kids decide to get along and play together, especially after a long spell of discontent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious, Christine! It's so fruity and somehow "bitter-ish", but absolutely yummie! Perfect on a warm piece of toast on top of some melting butter.. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow :-)

      It was indeed very special, watching our two girls play together. Wish they'd do it more often :-)

      Enjoy your week, Christine!

      Delete
  8. I don't like jam, jelly, marmalade or preserves. There!
    How exciting that Lily is almost a real reader! A world will open up to her when it clicks and she is reading! AND she'll be able to read to Violet and Calvin!
    Is the German constitution similar to the US one, with separation of church and state?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, no fruit spreads for you?? Let me guess, you're a Nutella girl :-)

      I can't wait either for her to just start reading. I've got her an early reader's book and told her that I won't read her a single word from the book but she's going to read it to me :-) She was so excited!

      In Germany, we do not have a strict separation of church and state but rather a co-existence with some religious aspects being protected in our consitution. Our current ruling party is called the CDU, which stands for Christian Democratic Union, if that tells you anything :-) According to the constitution, the state has to be neutral when it comes to religion, but still there are often crosses in schools and courts, for example, and church-operated facilities like some hospitals or nursing homes are exempt from the equal employment opportunity regulations. It's difficult..

      Hope you're having a great week, Dyanne!!

      Delete
  9. That happy play moment is truly sweet!
    Hooray for Lily almost reading! Dyanne's right - before you know it that something will click and she will take off like crazy. It just happens like that. And like Clark said, it is a critical life skill for so very many reasons.
    I think it's pretty rotten that the teacher talks about how no one is excluded and then does just that, whether intentionally or not. Glad you have others to stand with. No one should be excluded, regardless of whether anyone else agrees or disagrees - especially in an elementary classroom. Honestly! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lisa!! And I have to say, I am beyond proud of our 6-year old, who stands up against the pressure and for her viewpoints. Two of the 4 kids have already caved and participate, which is very, very sad.. It is also very unfortunate that she refuses to talk to us parents about our concerns and simply referred us to the principal.

      I'm so lookign forward to Lily's "aha"-moment, and you sure will find out when it happens :-)

      Enjoy your week, Lisa!!

      Delete
  10. I've never had marmalade! I bet I would love it if it's anything like a jam. :) So sorry to hear about what your friend is going through at her company. That's just so sad. Where else to begin to comment! I can only imagine how wonderful those coffee talks are and seeing your girls get along better must feel. Great list! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the deal with marmalade is that you either love it or hate it! It's fairly bitter but fruity and has orange peel in it. Yummie!

      I am so thankful that my friend has a really good lawyer. She read the letter she wrote to my friend's company, and it's wonderful, pointing out one by one all the discrimination, libel, and right-out lies her supervisor has confronted her with. I hope the company gets fined and my friend a hefty compensation.

      I really do enjoy being able to meet friends more often nowadays; before going on maternity leave, I only had time on the weekends or during my vacation.

      The girls go through phases every once in a while where they don't get along at all, especially with Lily having started school now and having a different schedule with homework and study time. It's hard for Violet not being able to play with her sister all the time any more.

      Have a wonderful week yourself, Brittnei!

      Delete