Saturday, March 7, 2015
Week In Review - Ten Things Of Thankful (90)
My first week of my new schedule is over, and I think that it actually works quite well for me! I enjoy the time at work, doing my job and focussing my mind on something other than family matters again for some time while still having tons of time to take care of our family.
Thus, there are tons of things to be thankful for!!
1. A good first week (as in: 3 days) back at work. My colleagues decorated my desk with chocolates, cookies, and the obligatory jar of Nutella, one of my colleagues got me a Starbucks City Mug from Izmir, and Calvin got an outfit as well.It's good to be back, even though I miss the little guy and being home full time a little. Even the welcome from colleagues I do not work with in the same team was overwhelming. I had no idea that I was missed that much!
2. Having 15 hours each week back to wear nice, spit-free, good.smelling clothes, heels, and proper make-up instead of throwing on my mommy-jeans, a sweat shirt, and sneakers before walking Violet to kindergarten.
3. Still having two days each week where I get to throw on my mommy-jeans, a sweat shirt, and sneakers and walk to kindergarten with Violet and Calvin in the stroller.
4. Life experiences, as in: the bad ones. We spent nearly three years with a teacher who strongly disliked Lily, who didn't get her, and decided that a girl who couldn't talk properly at age 3 (let's conveniently forget that said girl is bi-lingual and has spent most of her life in another country, immersed in another language), was raised mostly by her dad (because how could men possibly properly raise any children??), and had a notoriously absent mother (as in: Monday through Friday, 7:30 am - 4:30 pm) could impossibly be normal. We pushed through it, always had Lily's back and made sure that she knows what a wonderful girl she is. Unfortunately, one of Lily's best friends is in a similar situation at the moment, with their teacher examining all her moves under a magnifying glass. I happened to call Lily's friend's mom on Friday to see if we would car-pool to swim class with our younger daughters. When I called, hell had just broken lose at Lily's friend's house, about her "impossible behavior" the teacher had written a note about. I talked to the mom, who was seriously doubting herself; I got to share this very painful experience, and it helped her gaining the confidence again that it's not her daughter (who's an energetic, impulsive, but wonderful girl) but the teacher. After swim class, the mom hugged me and thanked me for sharing our story and telling her what she knew in her heart but needed to hear so badly from someone else.
5. Hubby bringing home a CD with a recording of the New Year's concert at the end of January. Your best guess who else, besides the orchestra, can be heard on the recording! :-)
6. Organizing, and Calvin giving me the time to do so. There is this point during the organization progress where everything looks much worse than in the beginning, and we've been in this stage for the last few weeks, because Calvin was much too needy for me to do anything.
7. Violet enjoying her swim class. She has the same instructor Lily had almost 3 years ago, and she also loves him. My little scaredy-birdy even dared to jump into the deep end of the pool to be caught by the instuctor. So proud of our little girl!!
8. A wonderful opportunity facilitated by the wonderful Lisa at The Meaning Of Me. It happens that we found to have quite a bit in common, especially our love for music and our very own musician! Keep an eye out for someting coming next week!!!
9. The realization that in just over a month, we will have a very special visitor coming all the way from the U.S.
10. Having breakfast with a very dear friend this week. A couple of months ago she's moved to her new house a lot closer to us now, and I finally managed to go and visit her. Her house already feels so much like a home, and we had such a relaxing morning with nice food, and a happy Calvin playing with her Golden Retriever/Rottweiler mix, who's ginormeous but possibly the best family dog ever.
I sure had a wonderful week. I hope you had the same and find tons of things in your week to be thankful for!