Saturday, August 16, 2014
Week In Review - Ten Things Of Thankful (61)
Saturday again, this week just flew by. I can't believe that last Saturday I was itchy and miserable, thinking about which one of the girls to take grocery shopping (early riser Violet had the honor because Lily had just woken up by the time we were ready to head out); this morning, I was thinking about the same when it dawned on me that we ALL would go shopping because there's no way I could lift all the groceries only days after giving birth. It definitely start to realize how our lives have changed in the little details since Monday. I know that some changes are only temporarily, others definitely permanent, with the arrival of little Calvin.
This week's thankfuls (and I do apologize that they are VERY baby-heavy!!):
1. First and foremost we are incredibly thankful for a healthy baby. Even after two births, I was still nervous, hoping that everything would go well; and even though the birth did not go as planned, we once again could welcome a healthy child, everything else is secondary.
2. Said baby being an incredibly good sleeper. I am totally not sleep deprived as he only wakes up once or twice a night for 15 minutes at the most.
3. Maternity and parental protection laws here in Germany that allow me to take quite some time off work to take care of my family without having to fear losing my job or facing bankruptcy.
4. Violet taking to her little brother so well. When we first told her that there was another baby on the way, she was not happy, but with my belly her excitement grew as well and she's doing so well taking care of Calvin now. It's a joy watching the two of them together.
5. Family somewhat nearby who checks up on us and comes visit. I easily feel cooped up and get into major cabin fever, and unfortunately, the weather is not nice enough right now to allow for short walks in the neighborhood, so their phone calls and visits sure are a nice diversion for me.
6. Living in a family friendly town. There are so many summer break activities, especially for Lily, to keep them busy. Next year I'm definitely getting her the summer break pass with even more activities in the area.
7. Finally getting used to diapering a boy. Even though I have some 6 years + of diapering experience, I felt like such a dilettante when I changed his first diaper; my sister confessed later that she had to hold back a good laugh watching me struggling, but probably she hadn't been any better :-) After two days of practicing I now manage to change his diaper without having to change his entire outfit most of the time.
8. So many friends in town who offer to help out with the girls should we need it. So far, everything's been very easy and relaxing, but who knows, there may be a time when we need it.
9. Guilt-free dessert. All I say is warm brownie with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. yummie!!!
10. Last but definitely not least a wonderful midwife who has taken me on for the post-natal care on quite short notice. She's such a great person and I've been in love with her from the beginning.
I wish everyone a wonderful weekend. About to watch a boxing match with Calvin, even though he's probably going to be totally unimpressed and sleep through most of it.