Tuesday, May 13, 2014

When Not-So-Perfect is Perfect

So, over the last few days, Facebook and many lovely blogs were covered with beautiful Mother's Day gifts, stories of how this special day was spent with special lunches or dinners, and I truly hope everyone had a wonderful day! You all deserve it so much!

And how was my day? Quite honestly unsuccessful. We were partly still dealing with our jetlag, and even though the ads at the airport in Philadelphia notified us about the impending Mother's Day, it took us until Thursday or Friday to even figure out that Sunday was Mother's Day.

Saturday night, I spent preparing the almond crescent rolls for breakfast, because I saw them in a magazine and they looked so yummie; and I went to bed way too late.

Come Sunday, hubby and I take turns getting up to prepare the girls' first breakfast, wipe poopie bottoms (sorry, TMI, but life of a parent), and switch on the TV. Way too late, we finally get up; I switch on the coffee maker and pop the crescent rolls in the oven. Oh, and remember again that it's Mother's Day. Hubby gets up a few minutes later. We all have breakfast together and halfway through (the girls had already run off to more important things), hubby asked: Is today Mother's Day??? 

Ineed, it was. And it wasn't picture perfect. There were no big gifts (I did get very cute flower pots from the girls, which I loved!!), there was no breakfast in bed or dinner out, but it was perfect for me. I got to spend it with the people I love most. I got to talk on the phone with a very close friend and my mom. We had a great family breakfast, we relaxed a lot, and hubby made a yummie dinner of pasta and pesto.

And while our extremely low-key Mother's Day may not seem perfect at all, it was all I needed and wanted that day, and I am truly happy and thankful for it!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful Mother's Day to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really all I wanted, Jen, and totally not commercial at all. So thankful for it!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a true Mother's Day and not the Hallmark version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, all I ask Richard to do is make a card with the girls. He hates crafting but did it every year so far, and I loved them all. Didn't get one this year due to jetlag, but that was totally fine, too :-)

      Delete