Thursday, November 14, 2013

Managing Life

Yesterday over dinner, I informed hubby that I needed the car on Thursday to get to the corporate cook-out my company is organizing for a number of customers. His response: You do remember that I have to play that concert on Thursday night..

$h!t...                                                                     (Sorry!!)

Ok, what can we do? The following options presented themselves:

1. Richard doesn't play the concert.

2. I pass on the work function.

3. We manage to organize child-care for the girls and both of us having to be in two different places at the same time with one car.

Well, Richard is the only one who knows how to play the first bassoon for a sold-out concert, and me calling off on a work event last minute would have been a really, really bad move, so option 3 it must be.

As soon as we were done with dinner, I was on the phone with my mom, who lives about an hour away, to check on her work schedule. She had to work both Thursday and Friday, but promised to check with her co-workers if she could leave earlier on Thursday or start later on Friday (love you, Mom!). At the same time, I checked with my neighbor if she'd be available to watch the girls and put them to bed, should my mom not be able to make it.

That left the issue on how to get the two of us to our destinations (and back home) with only one car.  This morning, I checked with one of my colleagues, and he offered to take me to the event. Later that day, my mom called and said she'd make it, but probably later than 5:30, when Richard had to leave.

So this is the master plan for tomorrow:
I work late and go right to the event with my co-worker.
Richard drops off the girls at our neighbor at 5:30pm before heading to the concert.
My mom comes over to our house right after work, around 7:00pm to take over the girls.
Hubby picks me up at my event after his concert.

And all that in less than 24 hours.

Note to self: Coordinate better with hubby. Even though I barely ever have obligations during workday nights and hubby hardly ever has obligations during the week, it may just happen that, once in a blue moon, we both have obligations on the same night.

Hope you all have a great Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Managed everything, thanks to my mom, who jumped in to babysit last minute ;-)

      Delete
  2. Woohoo!!! You guys are super parents!!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Susannah! Actually, my mom was super-granny, racing to our help on really short notice ;-)

      Delete
  3. Great job. Isn't that the worst feeling when you have a pile of non-negotiables to figure out. We try to be really good about putting absolutely everything on the calendar and discussing potential "issues" as we do. It has helped a lot. We still mess up a lot, too, but it's a huge help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're definitely getting a calendar for next year :-) It's just that we rarely ever have any engagements at night, and then we suddenly had both something at the same night... Thanks for the tip, Lisa!

      Delete