Thursday, January 2, 2014

Kids Being Thankful

Being thankful is something we as parents try to focus on teaching our girls. This starts at saying "thank you" and "please" and ends with being thankful for what we have or get, not always asking for more or too much. Yes it is hard if the girls want to take the entire toy catalog out with a note for Santa that they want everything in there except the baby toys. After we had agreed that three toys would be on the wish list, plus a number of other things like hats, pyjamas, dresses, books, craft supplies, etc.

On the morning of the 25th, after the girls had unwrapped all of their presents and Lily had taken a mental note of what she had gotten and what was missing from her list, I overheard the following:

Lily:  Dear Santa, I know that I haven't gotten all the things on my list, but that is ok. I got so many great things, and I'm very thankful for that. Thank you so much for it, Santa!

Today, I am very grateful for our wonderful daughter!

12 comments:

  1. I love it. Raising babies with a heart of gratitude is one of my top priorities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jamie! Gratitude is so important and seems to become more so.

      Delete
  2. So sweet! Good job mama! We are starting the tradition of letting AJ pick out a toy to donate to the children's home here every Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great idea, Steph! It will teach him so much about sharing, gratitude for what he has, and paying forward :-)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this! You are raising wonderful girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jen! Basic courtesy and gratitude has become so important in a society that's full of consumerism. I don't ever want them to think that money grows on trees but that it's hard work to afford a comfortable life.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Christine! It was a moment that made me so proud of our big gilr :-)

      Delete
  5. Completely awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing thing to overhear! You're definitely raising her right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had tears in my eyes, Susannah :-) She's such a wonderful girl!

      Delete