Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Surgery Day

Richard had his surgery, and everything went well. So glad that this day is over, and that he has stomached everything so well. He is currently resting and healing, hoping for a quiet night ahead.

I am wiped out myself. Still dealing with the bronchitis, not having had the chance to take a nap (like I was able to do during the last couple of weeks).

We took the kids to kindergarten together in the morning. Afterward, we did some cleaning until I had to take Richard in to the surgery center. I went back and picked up the girls from kindergarten. We had a picnic lunch until I had to take Lily to her early intervention class; afterward, Violet and I ran some errands, until it was time to pick up Lily. I dropped them off with our neighbor and headed to the surgery center to be with Richard.

There, I found that the surgery schedule had been postponed and hubby was still in surgery. By the time he got out and I was led down to the recovery area, they again did not let me see him because another person was still in the transition area. After I re-fed the parking meter, I was finally able to see my love - or better I heard him before I saw him. There he was, sitting upright, joking with the medical stuff, his face slightly swollen (no, there won't be any pictures). Obviouly, he was doing so well that they would let him go home with me immediately, after a quick check-up with the doctor.

After coming home, I picked up the girls and made dinner after getting Richard comfortable. I showered the kids and got them to bed. Right now, I'm resting as well. Richard is having some after bleeding from the surgery and the anaestesia is wearing off.

Keep your fingers crossed for a good first night!

12 comments:

  1. My fingers are totally crossed and just hoping he heals quickly and that you get some rest, too!! Sending good thoughts and prayers your way, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janine! Hubby spent the night on the couch, as he could not sleep until the wee hours. I found him sleeping all propped up around 4:30am though. When I got up with the girls he moved to the bedroom and is still sleeping. I'm so relieved he's not in too much pain!!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear the surgery went well. My fingers AND my toes are crossed for you both to have a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christine! Hubby spent most of the night propped up on the couch, but is currently peacefully sleeping in our bed. Seems he's doing pretty well..

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad everything went well! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jen! He's resting and doing well, considering the circumstances.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a very long day. I am glad things went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Pinky. He's doing much better. Started the mobilization today (meaning: twisting his jaw apart with a screw). SO not looking forward to doing that the first couple of days, seeing him almost jumping off the seat when the doctor did it today, poor guy!

      Delete
  5. I 'm glad the surgery went well, I hope you did have a good first night. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Natalia! We had a relatively good first night. He couldn't sleep and got comfortable on the couch while I caught some zzz's; when I got up in the morning to get the kids ready for kindergarten, he went to bed to sleep some more and rest. He's doing much better now..

      Delete
  6. So glad the surgery went well and am hoping for a speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take a while, Kate. He started on the "mobilization" on Friday, meaning that the screw is wound wider and wider each day, which in itself is very painful. Can't wait for him to be done with that phase. I swear, I've seen one of these contraption in a museum for medieval torture instruments!

      Delete