Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Love Is Just Love

I am seriously sick of the whole matter. I planned on writing a more-or-less Pinteresty post for everyone wich kids or spouses who are about as Toy Story addicted as our Lily (which is to follow sometime soon). Instead, when I scrolled through my personal FB page, I was confronted with the religious right bashing an "issue", which should not even be an "issue": gay marriage.

Let me start to say, I even dislike the term "gay marriage". Marriage is marriage. Period. It should not matter who the parties are, as long as they are consenting adults. It's called tolerance!

What I am appalled by most in the entire debate is, that most people who are against same-sex marriage claim to be Christians on a crusade to defend "traditional" marriage. Here, the they start to lose me. What is traditional marriage? Go to different cultures, and you will get a lot of different responses. Heck, there are even cultures where women oftentimes have several husbands (due to a serious shortage of women in the society).

But back to the issue at hand: There's a nice little chart our there on the internet, showing different models of "traditional biblical marriage":
That's all traditional according to the Old Testament!!
To be honest, I would be quite against my husband having any more wives besides me, or concubines, and I would DEFINITELY contest to marrying his brother should something happen to him (since we obviously don't have any sons). Yes, the old testament also mentions homosexual relationships and seriously condemns them. But that is Old Testament anyways, whose laws have been revised by the New Testament (see food laws).

And what does Jesus say about same-sex relationships. Nothing! Seriously?? Yes.

Ok, what does Jesus say about love in general? According to Jesus' teachings, love and compassion should be the supreme forces in all of his followers (sounds a little bit Buddhist to me!). He teaches to love thy neighbor; he himself sat with the outcast of society, the prostitutes, the lepers, and other people deemed scum by the pious ones. He never judged but welcomed everyone with open arms. It is him who said "he, who is without sin cast the first stone". According to the bible, Jesus was the only human being ever without sin, and since he was not judging so should no-one else.

But what are the so-called godly Christian followers today doing? They are judging. They want to take the opportunity and right from people to live in a secure and acknowledged relationship together, with all rights and authorities to take care of each other in all situations of life. I am married, and I want everyone else in this world, who wants to enter into this commitment, to be able to do so as well. I want good people to be able to adopt chidlren, who were cast away, and give them a good home and the love they need to grow to become strong members of this society.

You know what I think is really sad? That I, as an Atheist, have to teach Christians about their faith. I have read the bible cover to cover and studied it intensly for years. I am an Atheist because I am convinced from the bottom of a heart that there cannot be a God. I have dedicated my heart to science and the things I can see and smell and touch. I believe in enjoying the life we are given and to try our best to leave this world better for our children. Not because I fear any retributions or punishment later in life but because I feel that this is the right thing to do. If I believe in anything, it is love, and its power to change everything, one heart at a time.



Linking up with Amanda:

Modern Hippie Momma


10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this!!!! :-) I agree with all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Jen! I just had to write this off my chest after reading the post of a supposedly Christian person on FB praying for the Supreme Court deciding in favor of "traditional marriage". If I was a Christian, I would pray for her home-schooled kids who probably won't have the chance to be exposed to alternative ideas for a long time; and I hope that it won't be too late by then.

      Delete
  2. I've seen alot of it today. I have 2 guy cousins in my family who are gay. I dont judge them because of that. They are both great people. and 1 is better than the other in what he does for others and all. esp for his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Laney! For me, it's all about living and letting live. It doesn't matter if I agree with the way others live or not, but what matters is that I respect other life styles. In Germany, we have civil unions for same-sex couples, but they are still disadvantaged in comparison to opposite-sex "married" couples in terms of taxes and adoption. But why should kids rather live in orphanages than in loving homes? Doesn't make sense to me..

      Delete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I agree it is sad that an atheist is the one pointing out all the things the Christians should already know. This matter is very dear to my heart, as I have two gay siblings, both who want to marry their long-term partners. Even as a christian person, I refuse to judge anyone who doesn't fit into what the bible says is natural, and I thank you for standing up and refusing to do so too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing! I hope that both of your siblings get to marry her loved ones soon! My husband's best man at our wedding was gay and never got to marry his long-time partner, who unfortunately died a couple of years ago. All the best to you and your family, I hope you get to attend two weddings soon!!

      Delete
  4. First of all I will say that I am a Christian, but have learned about other faiths as well. I so so so totally agree you! I am the proud mom of an openly gay son, who is the light of my life...as are my other two lil monsters. LOL! He came out at the age of 15, even though I really knew it when he was three! LOL! Great post!

    You have been nominated!
    http://thismommasramblings.blogspot.com/2013/03/honored-with-my-third-leibster.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stacey! You are a wonderful mom; I really cannot understand parents who turn away from their children when they don'T fulfill the parents' expectations in what ever way. I love my children, and of course I want them to be strong, successful women when they grow up. But most of all, I want them to be happy and feel good about themselves. All the best for your entire family!

      Anf THANK YOU so much for the award, I'm really honored!!

      Delete
  5. As a Christian, I can honestly say I've been frustrated and angered by the way the mainstream church continues to treat the LGBTQ community. It's ridiculous and embarrassing, frankly. There are, however, some glimmers of light among us and things are changing. Unfortunately, progress is slow. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Dara! I am glad for Christians like you and others, who truly live Jesus' teaching instead of burying themselves in self-righteousness, intolerance, and hatred towards people who are different. I hope that the attitude wll continue to change in favor of a happy life for everyone!

      Delete