Friday, May 31, 2013

A First Date

On the last day of the "Blog Every Day in May"-challenge, Jenni asks us to share a vivid memory.

It was a cold day in November, 2005, when I was getting ready for a first date with the guy who ended up being my Mr. just a few months later.  I wore a comfortable outfit, jeans, an ancient sweater, and my favorite black leather jacket. I headed out to Bamberg, about a 40 minute drive from my place, to meet up and see what to do for the rest of the day. I had only seen him in pictures, but tried to curb my excitement, since we all know how pictures are. When I pulled up to the gate of the post there, I saw a guy who kind of looked like in the picture, ust better!! We went for a walk in town, browsing through book stores, and along the rver walk. That was where he took my hand. We sat down on a bench and talked, and talked, and talked. As dusk was setting in, we walked back into downtown to have dinner at the Mexican place, The food was ok, not good, but that didn't matter any more. At some time, before the food arrived, he touched my face; his eyes - they spoke more in this moment than words could have ever said. Since neither of us knew their way around in Bamberg very well, we decided to go back to his place to watch a movie. He had just gotten Sin City, which I had already seen but didn't mind watching again. At some time during the movie, he kissed me. This night I did something I usually didn't do: I stayed with him. Nothing happened, except sleeping in each others arms until the next morning. We had breakfast together and kept talking. We had lunch at a Greek restaurant just a few minutes from the post; we still go there for special occasion. We started talking about a future, how we imagined our lives, a family. I left after dark that night; I would have loved to stay, but I had school the next day, and he had to go to work. He let me borrow a book to make sure to see me again.

That was the beginning of a story that still continues. We have added wonderful memories of an engagement, a wedding, four moves, two children, and many, many memories of our daily lives together. I wouldn't want to miss any, whether it was good or not so good, since I know deep in my heart that even the not-so-good days with him are worlds better than any good day without him could ever be.

*******************************************



14 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful story;)

    Mel
    http://mels-corner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! :) I love hearing stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a romantic story!!! Thanks so much for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susannah! It was definitely the most special first date I've ever had, and the last first date as well...

      Delete
  4. What a special last first date. So romantic, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Pinky! He's really a special guy..

      Delete
  5. Wow. Just. Wow. How did you not marry him the next week? Isn't it amazing how when you finally find the right one, it all just seems so simple? I don't miss the drama of dating one little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he asked me to go to the States with him a week later.. Would have married him on the spot, but Germany bureaucracy... took us almost 5 months to get all the paperwork together ;-)

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful story, Stephanie. I'm happy you met such a great person and were able to create an equally great life together. I am surprised there was no hanky panky, though ;-) lol

    How long before you got married exactly?

    Sometimes you just never know who will end up being the one.

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jak! We were married a little less than 5 months later; and I didn't say there wasn't any hanky panky in between that and getting married, just not on the first date. I had to leave some sort of a good impression, after hitting on him so shamelessly online ;-)

      Delete